26th June 2020
16.00h – 19.15h CET (UTC/GMT +2)
16.00 – 16.15
Chairman: David Herrera.
16.15 – 17.15
Do we need personalised medicine in periodontics and is it realistic?
Chairman: David Herrera.
Transcriptomics. What we know today and what we may be able to know in the future. Will that be applicable for the benefit of the individual patient?
Microbiome. What we know today and what we may be able to know in the future. Will that be applicable for the benefit of the individual patient?
Debate participants: Elena Figuero, Kenneth Kornman.
17.15 – 18.15
The systemic impact of periodontal diseases
Chairman: David Herrera.
Periodontitis & quality of life: how periodontitis and periodontal therapy impact quality of life. Is this going to impact future preventive and /or therapeutic strategies?
Periodontitis & systemic health: how periodontitis and periodontal therapy impact systemic health. Is this going to impact future preventive and /or therapeutic strategies?
Debate participants: Ana Molina, Phoebus Madianos.
18.15 – 19.15
The challenge of regenerate/reconstruct periodontal tissues
Chairman: David Herrera.
Periodontal regeneration. Which are the ideal bone grafts and membranes today? And tomorrow?
Periodontal regeneration. What are the alternatives to conventional approaches? Are stem cells the future?
Debate participants: Ion Zabalegui, Cecilia Gjerde
19.15 – 19.25
Sepa Conference 2020 Participants
If you already have your registration in sepa 2020 you can join the conferences as free.
Use your registration ID.
Sepa members non registered
to Sepa 2020
Sepa non members non registered to Sepa 2020
Under 35 years
48H before to the online conference you’ll receive all the details. The pasword and user will be valid just for one device.
Colaboradores Estratégicos Platino 2020
Colaboradores Estratégicos Oro 2020
Quo Vadis Symposium will be available on 26th June at 16.00h.(UTC/GMT +2)
We also encourage you to sign up for our newsletter
- Dental surgeon.
- Periodontology Specialist, Universidad de Chile.
- Degree, Universidad de Chile.
- Postgraduate in Periodontology.
- Master’s degree in Health Sciences Research Methodology, Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona.
- European Board in Periodontology and Implants by the European Federation of Periodontology (EFP).
- Master’s degree in Periodontology and Implants (UCM).
- Adjunct professor in Undergraduate and Postgraduate studies (Master’s degree in Periodontology,
- Master’s degree in Restorative Dentistry based on New Technologies) from UCM, and in continuing education courses UCM, SEPA, EAO.
- Exclusive practice in Periodontology and Dental Implants in Madrid and Salamanca.
- Speciality in Oral and Maxillofacial surgery at University of Bergen in 2006.
- Worked at Haukeland University Hospital from 2006-2008.
- Head of the clinical education for students and residents at the Section of Oral Surgery and Oral Medicine at UoB from 2008 till 2012.
- Research position focusing on stem cells and tissue engineering.
- PI of the clinical trial Maxillo 1, using mesenchymal stem cells and a biomaterial to reconstruct the alveolar ridge.
- Referral clinic, where she installs approx. 500 dental implants on a yearly basis.
- Published several scientific papers and given more than 150 invited lectures at national and international conferences.
- Won the Norwegian Grand Prix 2015 for Scientific Presentations.
- Awarded both the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry`s price for scientific communication and the dental students award for best lecturer. 2016.
- Best educator price from the final year dental students. 2017.
- President of the Norwegian Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons and is an ITI Fellow.
- Defend her PhD on stem cell research in August 2020.
- Full-time Professor of Periodontology, University Complutense of Madrid (UCM)
- Associated Dean for Clinics (UCM)
- Co-director of the Graduate Program in Periodontology (UCM), accredited by European Federation of Periodontology (EFP)
- President of the Spanish Society of Periodontology (SEPA, 2013-2016)
- Past president of the Continental European Division (CED) of the International Association for Dental Research (IADR)
- President elect of the Periodontal Research Group (PRG) of the International Association for Dental Research (IADR)
- Scientific activity within Periodontal & Periimplant Etiology, Therapy, Microbiology and Antimicrobials: more than 100 scientific publications in JCR journals.
- Egija Zaura (DDS, PhD) holds a University Research chair and is a full professor in Oral microbial Ecology, she leads the department of Preventive Dentistry and one of the two research programs at the Academic Centre for Dentistry Amsterdam (ATCA).
- Egija Zaura obtained her Dental degree in 1995 at Karolinska Institute, Sweden.
- She combined her work in the dental clinic in Riga with accomplishing a degree in General Dentistry at Riga Stradins University, Latvia, in 1997.
- In 2002 she acquired a PhD in Preventive Dentistry, cum laude, at Academic Centre for Dentistry Amsterdam (ACTA).
- Since 2003 she is a researcher and lecturer at the Department of Preventive Dentistry at ACTA.
- Her research topics span from biofilm models and clinical studies to advanced molecular technologies in oral microbial diagnostics and complex sequencing data analyses.
- Her current principal interests lay on oral microbial ecology at health and disease, and translating this fundamental knowledge to the clinical practice.
- PhD in Dentistry (Mention of European Doctor). University Complutense Madrid (UCM).
- Postgraduate program “Master of Periodontology”. UCM, Madrid, Spain.
- Board on Periodontology by the European Federation on Periodontology (EFP)
- Postgraduate Program in Research Methodology in Medical Sciences University Autonoma, Barcelona, Spain.
- Full time Associate Professor in Periodontology and Secretary of the Department of Dental Clinical Specialties. Faculty of Dentistry, UCM, Madrid, Spain
- Co-director of the postgraduate program “Expert on Periodontal clinic” (Director: M. Sanz). Faculty of Dentistry, UCM, Madrid, Spain
- Director of the program “Research methodology on Dentistry”. Spanish Society of Periodontology (SEPA).
- Coordinator of the ETEP (Etiology and Therapy on Periodontal Diseases) Research Group.
- Professor of Periodontology of the University of Pisa (Italy).
- Responsible of the Unit of “Periodontology, Halitosis and Periodontal Medicine” of the University Hospital of Pisa.
- Visiting Professor in Periodontology at UCL of London (Eastman Institute)
- Honorary Professor at the Faculty of Dentistry, Hong Kong.
- DDS in Pisa and PhD in Oral and Maxillo-Facial Surgery.
- Mastership in Periodontology at the Eastman Dental Institute of London.
- Master’s in clinical research and an Oral Surgery Specialty.
- President of the European Federation of Periodontology in 2019.
- Coordinator of the European Day of Periodontology 2017.
- Chairman of the European Project Committee of the European Federation of Periodontology.
- Associate Editor of Minerva Stomatologica and member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Clinical Periodontology.
- Awarded in 2013 with Earl Robinson Award for Periodontal Regeneration of the American Academy of Periodontology.
- Awarded in 2015 with the Clinical research Jaccard Prize of the European Federation of Periodontology.
- 2017 the Goldman prize of the Italian Society of Periodontology and Implantology.
- Research Professor in the Dept of Periodontics and Oral Medicine at the University of Michigan School of Dentistry.
- Editor of the Journal of Periodontology.
- Member of the management team of CardioForecast Ltd, a London based genetics company focused on prevention of major cardiovascular disease events.
- Was Chairman of Periodontics and Professor of Microbiology at University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, and one of the founders of Interleukin Genetics.
- Research focuses on genetics of chronic inflammatory diseases as it relates to predisposition and treatment.
- Published more than 150 original manuscripts,
- including papers in Science,
- the New England Journal of Medicine,
- Journal of the American College of Cardiology,
- Human Molecular Genetics,
- and numerous papers in the periodontal journals.
- Ken, together with Maurizio Tonetti and Henry Greenwell, authored the World Workshop paper on classification of periodontitis published in Journal of Periodontology 2018.
- His mentors were Harald Loe, Sig Ramfjord, and Walter Loesche.
- MD – Degree-Universidad Complutense of Madrid (MD).
- Specialist in Stomatology. Universidad Complutense de Madrid (DDS).
- Specialist in Periodontology. University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).
- Doctor en Medicine (PhD degree). Universidad Complutense de Madrid (DrMed).
- Honorary Doctorate Degree by the University of Buenos Aires (Argentina) (DrHC).
- Honorary Doctorate Degree by the University of Gothenburg (Sweden) (DrHC).
- Honorary Doctorate Degree by the University of Coimbra (Portugal) (DrHC).
- Honorary Doctorate Degree by the University of San Sebastian in Santiago de Chile (DrHC).
- Professor of Periodontology. Universidad Complutense de Madrid.
- Professor II University of Oslo.
- Director of the Graduate Programme “Master in Periodontology”. Universidad Complutense de Madrid.
- Chairman of the Workshop Committee of the European Federation of Periodontology.
- Patron of the Spanish Society of Periodontology Foundation.
- Past – Dean of the Faculty of Odontology. Universidad Complutense de Madrid.
- Past – President of the European Conference of Dental Deans (ADEE).
- Past – Secretary General of the European Federation of Periodontology (EFP).
- Past – President of the Spanish Society of Periodontology (SEPA).
- Past – President of the Pan European Region (PER) of the International Association for Dental Research (IADR-CED).
- Past – President of the Osteology Foundation.
- Associate Editor of the Scientific Journal Evidence-Based Dental Practice and Journal of Clinical Periodontology.
- Has published more than 300 scientific articles and book chapters in Periodontology, Implant Dentistry and Dental Education.
- Has given multiple courses and seminars in Periodontology, Implant Dentistry and Dental Educat.
- Doctor of Dental Surgery, DDS. Complutense University (UCM).
- Master in Dental Science UCM.
- Postgraduate program in Periodontics and Implantology, UCM.
- Board Certificate. European Federation of Periodontology.
- FPU Spanish research and teaching fellowship. Ministry of Education, Spanish Government.
- Research stays in the Centre for Biological Research CIB-CSIC, Madrid and in the University of Michigan, USA.
- Part-time professor, School of Dentistry, UCM
- Professor and Coordinator of the Postgraduate program in Periodontics and Implantology, UCM.
- Professor and Coordinator of the Postgraduate Program in Oral Surgery, Periodontics and Implantology IUM.
- ETEP Research Group (UCM)
- Degree in Medicine.
- Specialty in Medical School.
- Certificate of Periodontology Southern University
- Adjunct professor. Periodontology Section. Postgraduate degree. UCM. Madrid
- Guest professor.
- Integrated Dentistry. Univ. Pais vasco.
- Postgraduate degree, Univ. Valencia,
- Seville, EMU,
- UIC, Santiago de Compostela,
- Society Member
- Sociedad Española de Periodoncia.
- American Academy of Periodontology.
- American Academy of Osseointegration.
- Pierre Fauchard Academy.
- International College of Dentistry.
- Sociedad Española de Prótesis Estomatológica.
- European Academy of Osseointegration.
- DDS, PhD is Professor of Dental Medicine, Director of the Division of Periodontics, Chairman of the Section of Oral, Diagnostic and Rehabilitation Sciences, at the College of Dental Medicine, Columbia University, New York, USA.
- DDS degrees from the University of Athens, Greece, and Columbia University, NY, USA.
- PhD from Göteborg University, Sweden.
- Post-doctoral training in Oral Microbiology at the Forsyth Institute, Boston, MA.
- Research has been funded by the National Institutes of Health, foundations and industry, and encompasses studies of the epidemiology of periodontal disease, the assessment of microbial and host-derived risk factors, the pathobiology of periodontitis and its role in general health.
- Several international awards, most recently the William Gies Award for Clinical Research from the International Association for Dental Research (2015).
- The Yngve Ericsson Prize in Prophylactic Dentistry Research jointly awarded by Swedish Patent Revenue Fund for Prophylactic Odontology and the European Organization for Caries Research (2016).
- Distinguished Scientist Award for Basic Research in Periodontal Disease from the International Association for Dental Research (2017).
- Board member of several journals, Fellow of the American College of Dentists.
- Past President and Councilor of the Periodontal Research Group of the IADR.
- Professor of Periodontology, in the School of Dentistry, at the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens.
- DDS degree and clinical certificate in graduate Periodontics at the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens.
- PhD degree in Oral Microbiology from Gothenburg University.
- Assistant Professor at the University of North Carolina.
- Department of Periodontology at the University of Athens in 2003.
- Director of the Graduate Program in Periodontology and of the Osseointegrated Implant Unit of the Dental School at the University of Athens.
- President of the European Federation of Periodontology.
- Board member of the Continental European Division of the International Association for Dental Research.
- Chair of the Scientific Affairs Committee of EFP.
- Hans-R. Mülhemann Research Prize from the Swiss Society of Periodontology in 1997.
- Anthony A. Rizzo Award from the International Association for Dental Research in 2004.
- Clinical Research Award from the American Academy of Periodontology in 2006.